KDE4 has brought a new concept to desktop by Plasma. However, it was not considered that Plasma should work on more than one monitors. It has rumours that KDE 4.2 has a fix for multi-monitoring, this fix is not working. While I was searching for the problem, I found an alternative solution to monitoring on KDE-Forums (It redirects to Gentoo-Wiki).
- Backup your xorg.conf file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf ).
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
- Configure your xorg.conf file for dual monitors. I don’t now how ATI is configured, but for NVIDIA you can use
nvidia-settingsprogram. You must configure both screen as seperate screen. Your main screen’s height should be greater than second’s and Xinerama should be disabled. Then click “Save to X Configuration File” and save it.
- Install ICEWM by your default repository manager.
emerge -av icewm
- Restart your Xorg server by
- Open a console then write:
- If you want to work with “icewm” every start of your computer:
echo 'DISPLAY=":0.1" icewm &' > ~/YOUR_KDE_FOLDER/Autostart/icewmstart.sh
If folder name is “.kde”:
echo 'DISPLAY=":0.1" icewm &' > ~/.kde/Autostart/icewmstart.sh
And then my dual monitors 🙂
If your second monitor left of the main monitor you can configure
xorg.conf file like this:
Find the line:
Screen 1 "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
Then change to:
Screen 1 "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"